Thursday, October 28

Blogger and the State of Oregon joined forces and made off with my sense of purpose.

The other day, I ran into my friend Pete as I was leaving New Seasons. I had just spent an enormous amount of effort (and an inordinate amount of time) NOT spending my food stamps on non-RBG foods and was feeling kind of bummed out about it. As we walked home, I mentioned that I was beginning to question the whole rice, beans, and greens program.

"What's the point?" I asked. "I don't save any more money by limiting myself than by having whatever I want..."

(Point of Information: While the state of Oregon will not give me Unemployment, they will give me a ridiculous sum in food stamps every month. It now costs me exactly the same amout to eat rice, beans, and greens as it would to eat olives, eggs, figs, and fancy goat cheeses: $0.)

"...and I'm pretty sure no one's actually reading my blog, so..."

(Point of Information: Blogger does not tell my followers when I post. Probably this means no one is reading my blog. This makes actually sitting down to write it way more difficult.)

"Yeah," Pete replied, "But wasn't part of the point to start appreciating things more?"

"Huh. Good point...I guess I had sort of forgotten about that part."

So I guess this is the part where RBG stops seeming so fun and abundant (...funbundant? Is that a reasonable word to invent? Whatever -- it's my blog. I can do what I want!).
I guess this is the part where I commit to having discipline and obeying the rules I've set for myself even though I don't have to. It's also the part where I write blog posts even though maybe no one's reading them. And I do these things not because they're cool or fun, or because someone else is watching, because I said I would.

The End.

No comments:

Post a Comment