Wednesday, November 3

The 1-Month and 1-Day Check-in

Dear Reader,

It is the 31st day of my experiment and I have something I’d like to share with you.
I seem to be suffering from an RBG-related neurosis.  
I call it "Aisle Lurking."

Its symptoms are as follows:
About once a week I take a quick trip to the market for a bunch of kale or some lentils.  Somehow, however, this simple mission becomes a 45-minute-long Odyssey-like journey; having successfully seized my bean, green, or grain I find myself unable to return home.  Instead, I sail aimlessly around the aisles with my trusty basket, drawn this way and that by produce displays and attractive packaging, reading the ingredient lists in likely RBG candidates on the off chance that I might be able to justify buying them.  

Just as disappointment and the taint of failure begin setting in, I finally -- fittingly -- find dietary allies in the Greeks.  Dolmas and hummus in hand, I wend my way around the store to the freezer section, unable to resist the allure of Rice Dream "ice-cream" sandwiches…so much potential pleasure contained in that name! But alas, a few minutes spent scouring the aisle’s bountiful offerings produce only more disappointment.  Nearly an hour has passed by the time I make my way to the cashier station, pull out my EBT card, and walk out with my reusable bagful of brown rice and broken dreams.

This is not normal.
This is madness.
And I'm only a month (and a day) in.




1 comment: