Friday, October 15

2-Week Check-In

It’s been 2 weeks.
2 surprisingly easy, bountiful weeks.
I have learned 3 really important lessons over their course.

1. Creativity helps a lot.
That’s how you discover that there's actually a lot you can do with rice, greens, and beans. Thai salad rolls, for example? Rice paper (rice-duh), fried tofu (beans), and lettuce (greens). Same principal applies to a bunch of other Asian foods. And Indian foods too. And then there's hummus and falafel. And rice-flour biscuits with tempeh gravy (yum!). And so on.
So basically, I'm eating pretty well.
Oh yeah, and coffee? Totally a bean.
(Now, if I can only figure out a way to rationalize all the other ingredients in chocolate I’ll be set, since cocoa comes from beans too.)

2. Friends help a lot.
I could say a bunch of schmaltzy BS here about how everyone’s being really supportive. 
But I’m not going to. 
Instead, I’m going to refer you once again to Post 1, Rule 5, a.k.a the “Free Shit” clause. It's the one where my wonderful, supportive friends take me out for a drink sometimes, or share their delicious dish, or leave something fun on the communal shelf in the fridge and I say, "Oh, hello free non-RGB items. Get in my belly."
And then I say, "Thanks,"to my friends for being so great.
(And maybe a bunch of schmaltzy stuff too, if they play their cards right.)

3. Fermentation F-ing rules.
Tempeh. Miso. Kombucha. Dosa. Sake. Kimchi. Perhaps even rice-flour sourdough? 
Behold—the vast power of bacteria, making my limited culinary life more exciting by the day. 
O bacteria, how I love thee. …Sigh…
(More about that tomorrow.)

PS: Ignore the time stamp (again)! I wrote this yesterday but my internet was broken (Again!).

No comments:

Post a Comment