Monday, December 27

Latke Love

I'm one of these people who is utterly defenseless in the face of fried potato products.  Put a plate of tots in front of me and my culinary standards go right out the window. Same goes for fries -- crispy, fluffy, or shoe-stringy; curly or crinkle cut; with ketchup, malt vinegar, or the delicious and enigmatically named "Frites Sauce" the Dutch use. I love them all equally.

And then there are latkes: giant tater-tots made out of a gazillion tiny french fries. They are the perfect fried-potato food. Plus, since I can put veggies in them my health-foodie-facade remains intact.

Latkes (Warning: There is probably nothing either authentic or Jewish about this recipe.)
1. In a bowl combine 2 grated potatoes (You can totes sub yams, winter squash, carrots, or zucchini...I've even thrown half an apple or pear in there before!), about 2T finely chopped onions, a clove or 2 of minced garlic, and an (optional) inch of grated ginger.
2. Stir in 1 egg (or equivalent egg replacer) and about 2T flour (or as much as you need to make a kind of cohesive mixture).
3. Add salt & pepper to taste. (You can totes add some spices too! Mace, sage, and thyme is a nice combo. So is cumin & chipotle. Curry powder and garam masala too. Anyway...)
4. Heat oil in a skillet over med-hi heat and fry mixture in patties 2-3 inches across.
5. Drain on paper towels and serve with sour cream and applesauce (and a mess o' greens, of course).

And there you have it! Latkes!

Today's delicious latkes: potato, sweet potato, garlic, ginger, scallion, Chinese 5-spice powder, cayenne, and salt. Ate 'em with homemade apple-pear sauce, sour "cream", and a mess o' greens, of course.

Yep...I love me some latkes.

No comments:

Post a Comment